This is possibly the easiest new recipe I have ever made, ever!
It’s in one of the Hairy Bikers’ Hairy Dieters books that I got for Christmas, so I thought I’d share it with you.
150grams porridge oats
20g coconut oil/butter
2tbsp maple syrup (or honey)
handful of dried fruits of your choice (I used cranberries and raisins)
handful of flaked almonds
2 tbsp sunflower seeds
Heat a frying pan with 20g coconut oil/butter and 2 tbsp maple syrup, stir until melted.
Add the oats and stir until coated in the oil/syrup/butter mix.
Flatten out the oats in the pan and leave for 20 seconds, then stir through. Continue this until the oats are a golden brown colour and smell nutty. Should take about 5 mins.
Add your dried fruits, flaked almonds and sunflower seeds and stir for a few more minutes.
Take off the heat and spread out on a plate to cool for 5 minutes.
Put into a mason jar and use as needed! 🙂
I don’t have bowls of granola for my breakfast as they’re so high in sugar and don’t fill me at all;
This was great to have sprinkled over my morning fruit and yoghurt and I really really enjoyed it! And this amount lasts me about 2 weeks having it for my breakfast in this way, so definitely worth giving a go in my opinion.
This recipe is especially good if, like me, you have a bit of a sweet tooth at breakfast time. Sometimes just fruit and yoghurt isn’t enough and you need a bit of extra sweet crunch. 🙂
Let me know if you try this out with other fruit/nut variations as I love to change things up with new flavours.
But you can mix it up with different flavours of yoghurt, fruit and essence flavourings.
In fact, I have two favourite baked oats variations: one for summer and one for those cold winter months.
My summer one is made with chopped banana, almond essence, nutmeg and choc shot drizzled on top and my winter one is made with diced apple, vanilla essence,cinnamon and natural yoghurt drizzled on top.
Sound yummy don’t they?
There are a MILLION different ways you can do baked oats. I have put chopped walnuts in before, summer fruits, Options hot chocolate if I’m feeling extra naughty; the possibilities are endless!
You just throw it all together and pop it in the oven and that’s it!
I just love baked oats so much; I might even have them for breakfast tomorrow!
Let me know what you favourite baked oats recipes are. 🙂
With it being a Monday Morning, I thought this post would be perfect to get those motivational juices flowing and get you on the right track of healthy eating from the get-go!
This post does what it says on the tin and really needs no introduction, so without further delay, here are my top 10 Healthy breakfasts!
1.Porridge-I have Mornflake Oats 2 Go porridge in the individual sachets or pots because I can’t be bothered with measuring sometimes and they are quick and easy to grab, stick in your bag and make up when you get to work! This is perfect to keep you going until lunchtime and involves no preparation what-so-ever.
2. Breakfast Burritos– These are a must for those days when you are ravenous and fancy a full English but with less of the calories.These involve a bit of preparation (I make mine the night before) but you will be glad you did when you’re bleary eyed and need a tasty wake up call.
3. Slimming World Overnight Oats– I love these on a morning when I know I will be having a gym session later. The best bit about these is you can make them any way you like with any flavour yoghurt and any combination of fruit. Get creating!
4. Pancakes! These are super easy to make, don’t take a lot of prep and are massively satisfying. This recipe doesn’t use flour either and is super tasty with some natural yoghurt drizzled on top. These are best enjoyed on a weekend when freshly made. You can freeze them but fresh is better. 🙂
5. A proper (healthy) English breakfast- This had to be somewhere in the top 10. It involves most of the elements of an english breakfast but made healthy. Bacon, egg,mushrooms can all be fried in Frylight, you can swap beans for chopped tomatoes with salt and pepper and still enjoy your toast but instead of using butter, put all your breakfast on top of your toast so you have moisture from the toms and egg yolk. This breakfast is super satisfying and you could even had Quorn sausages or as close to 100% meat sausages as dammit and cook them in the oven. 😀 Slimming World do a version if you want to follow their recipe.
6. Poached eggs on Toast- This is a nice light breakfast that, with the protein from the eggs, will keep you fuller for longer and less likely to snack. If you’re CRAP at poaching eggs like me, you can buy a poaching pan with 4 ready-made holes in to do all the hard work for you. Have 2 large poached eggs on 2 wholemeal toast and throw in some Frylight cooked mushrooms if you’re feeling extra hungry!
7. Omelette/Frittata-sticking with the egg theme as I find it fills me up. This a great breakfast. You can add mushrooms, peppers, onions, chicken and tomatoes to egg mixture and make a super filling summery frittata!My recipe is here and the best bit about it is, you can have it at any time of day for any meal! Note: a sprinkling of cheese makes it that little bit more indulgent!
8.Cereal-No this is not a cop-out! There are a lot of healthy cereals out there. Some of my favourites are Fruit and Fibre, Cheerios, Corn Flakes, Rice Crispies, the aforementioned Oats 2 Go and Granola (in small quantities). These vary on calories but I tend to have around 50 grams instead of the suggested 30-35g because I am a growing woman who needs her nutrition! 😉 Have your cereal with semi-skimmed or skimmed milk and if you’re feeling fruity, chop a banana on top and mix it in!
9. Fruit with yoghurt-I LOVE THIS now it’s summer time as it really sets you up for the day. You can vary apples with grapes, strawberries with nectarines and bananas with oranges. There really is no limit to this as the combinations are endless. Then top with natural yoghurt (I sweeten mine with Stevia) and add a drizzle of honey or throw on some walnuts for good measure! This is one of my favourite healthy breakfasts as it fills you until lunch and you get some of your 5 a day! The photo below actually uses Mullerlight strawberry yoghurt with sliced banana and raspberries topped with fruity & nutty granola.The combinations are endless!
10. Slimming World doughnuts-I haven’t made these yet but they look simply gorgeous! I would imagine that this is something you would have if you’re gagging for something sweet and nothing else will do.I’ll give these a go and let you know how I get on.:)
I hope these breakfast ideas have shed some light and given you some thoughts as to how you can change-up the most important meal of the day.
If you have any other breakfast suggestions not mentioned here then drop a comment and share your favourites!
Think my current favourite still has to be the breakfast burritos but they are a tough one to beat!;)