I know I’ve made a variation of this before, but with the addition of chicken and spinach, rather than re-linking to the original recipe I posted, I thought I’d create a new post just for easiness. 🙂
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- Turmeric-1 tbsp
- 4 cloves of garlic ( I use more coz I LOVE IT)
- Garam Masala-2 tbsp
- a thumb sized piece of grated ginger
- Chilli powder-1/4-1/2 tsp (your taste)
- Red Lentils Well Rinsed (30grams per portion, I used 60g for this recipe)
- 1 chicken breast
- 1/3 bag of baby spinach
- Fresh chopped Coriander-small handful
- Salt to taste
- vegetable stock cube
- Put a chicken breast in the oven and cook on 180 degrees for about 30 minutes or until cooked. (my oven is easy-going so it takes FOREVER to cook chicken in mine)
- Heat some oil in a pan, Fry the onion, garlic and ginger on a medium heat until golden. Make sure you don’t burn the garlic as it creates a bitter unpleasant taste.
- Add all spices and mix in.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and the rinsed lentils and stir in.
- Turn heat to low, put a lid on the pan and simmer for about 20 minutes
- When chicken is ready, take it out and chop into chunks and add to the curry.
- Add a third of a bag of baby spinach along with freshly chopped coriander when ready to serve.
TIP: If you’re not eating this right away, wait to add the spinach and coriander as it will wilt and lose flavour the longer its left in the dhal.
TIP 2: Taste the dhal BEFORE you add in any salt as the vegetable stock will be salted, so you may find you don’t need it.
This made 2 meals for me but you can always double up on the recipe and add more/less chilli to your taste.
With everything I make, I never make it the same way twice as I just like to throw things in. but I like to put my recipes here so I can refer back to them if I’m ever stuck for inspiration. 🙂